Apple Pay support

I just hope they will turn it on in the Czech Republic and not just in some countries.
Right now I have to use Boon. by Wirecard…

I think we should read it rather in this way: Apple/ Android Pay until the
end of this year will be provided :joy:

It could be really soon - look at the twitter - https://twitter.com/kylo32/status/933233871851679744

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. The end of year is very soon too :joy:

This now looks unlikely as a blog post is due in a couple of weeks…

1 Like

This is almost certainly referring to the incoming Bitcoin and Litecoin support.

4 Likes

I’m afraid it’s about Bitcoin support.

4 Likes

still waiting for the announcement :frowning:

1 Like

On Twitter they said 1st week of December for bitcoin, so that’s either Friday, or early next week.
I don’t think Apple/Android pay will be part of it, but it shouldn’t be too far behind, from the clues I gathered here and there… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is android pay gonna be available the same time as android pay?

2 Likes

Not sure, they told me they’re working on both but I don’t know about the schedule… I hope it will be both at the same time :pray:

1 Like

Either way I live in Portugal, so neither Apple Pay or Android Pay will be supported for me. If someone knows how to trick Android Pay into working in non-supported countries, even if the person holds a valid card, please let me know.

1 Like

I think it depends on your bank (here: Revolut) more than the country you’re in. I remember using Android Pay in France a while ago, through my UK bank card (which supports Android Pay), and it worked just fine. It was at a petrol station where regular NFC was available, no mention of Android/Apple Pay there, and I’m pretty sure at the time it wasn’t available officially in France yet.

If I were you, once Revolut allows it, I would give it a shot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s two different things. Paying with Apple/Android Pay is possible in most circumstances where NFC contactless terminals are available. And contactless cards are widely available in countries where Apple/Android Pay is not introduced yet.

Also, the country of the Phone OS is not the critical factor. Apple seemingly wants tight control over the service and wants to limit the service to customers that reside in countries where they officially made the service available. Even if we, as EU citizens, legally have UK cards that would technically be ready for Apple Pay, we can’t add such a card to the Wallet app.

I am guessing here, but I believe this is a limitation by Apple, and not by the banks.

(The loophole with boon does not seem 100% legit to me. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy for everybody who wants to use it and it works. But N26’s approach to Apple Pay seems to show that Apple isn’t happy if a bigger player in the market would allow workarounds like this.)

1 Like

That would explain why this works fine with Android, they are not as controlling over this specific issue.

I have no idea how Google handles this. Right now, Android Pay is also limited to certain countries, but I don’t know if it would be possible for a German Android user to add an Irish Andoird Pay enabled card, for example, without using a similar workaround like people use to add a boon card on their iOS devices.

1 Like

You can gain access to Apple Pay in Wallet by choosing Region in Settings where Apple Pay is supported!

1 Like

iOS region settings are not the critical detail here.

It does not work with N26 for example. N26 cards can only be added if the customer’s residency address is in an Apple Pay country like France. German cards can’t be added just by setting iOS region to France or Ireland.

To issue an Apple Pay virtual card with Boon, the Boon app itself needs to be downloaded from the French store, for example. Therefore, an Apple ID with a French billing address is necessary. Only then Boon can be added to the wallet.

(Yes, if one already has an account + card from a bank that supports Apple Pay, it then can be added to the wallet app.)

2 Likes

Em, if you went to UK and opened a bank account, received normal (non-prepaid) debit card, you’d be able to add it and use it in Apple’s wallet regardless of your citizenship. Prepaids are different thing, for example in Poland Boon cards are declined at petrol stations while normal UK cards via Apple Pay are accepted. I’ve contacted Boon to explain this, and they just said that "transactions didn’t pass security check on their side).
Apple has no tools to control this the way you say, because if they did, customers would be stripped off Apple Pay while abroad, and immigrants moving to apple pay supported country would be excluded of the service until they obtain citizenship - and that would be a nonsense

And that’s not a problem at all. You do not have to verify billing adress in any way (you can enter hotel’s adress or just literally anything), you don’t even need a debit card issued in a specific country to create an Apple ID and download a free app, so what’s your point? Boon policy still allows you to upgrade to Boon Plus" (and in the process top-up using wire transfer from Revolut) even with ID card/passport/driving license from a different country.

2 Likes

Right. I didn’t phrase this correctly. The problem is to get a “proper” UK account at a bank that supports Apple Pay for non UK residents right now. Its possible, but certainly not easy.

When I was referring to a “UK card”, I was referring to the Revolut card, which is a UK card available for non UK residents. And if N26 is any evidence here, Apple might insist on technical measures that customers with a residency outside of Apple Pay countries can’t add the card to the Wallet app while customers from the same bank residing in countries where Apple Pay is available (France, Ireland, Italy … ) can add their card.

I’ve never said that customers that obtained a card that is compatible with Apple Pay can’t use Apple Pay. Anyone who has a compatible US card for example can add this card on any phone and use Apple Pay everywhere.

True, not a problem. But it might be a violation of Apple’s T&C to set up an ID with a fake address. Don’t get me wrong. I am not against this. It’s clever from Wirecard. Wirecard can say it is Apple’s responsibility if they can’t restrict distribution of apps that should be limited to certain markets. But again N26 as an example might show that Apple won’t let this happen again.

2 Likes