Apple Pay support

It just keeps on coming huh …

Had a look at the article that @Firnomir linked again (Thanks for the link!).

Looks like Revolut has taken the approach of ensuring Apple Pay roll-out across all European countries then (Rather than the piecemeal approach that some of its competitor ‘neobanks’ have decided to take.).

I suppose from a marketing point of view it makes sense, since Revolut would be able to announce ‘Apple Pay now available’, without having any caveat.

2 Likes

The problem with that approach is that by the time they do this, given that’s what they’re doing, some people will have moved to something else and others to something else and so on.

Not necessarily. Most of the other ‘neobanks’ either have no Apple Pay support (Monzo, Atom, …) or partial roll-out (N26, Boon, …).

Revolut’s core competences (26 and counting currency accounts, debit card with spot interbank FX rate conversion, auxiliary products, …) make Revolut a very compelling proposition in the market.

2 Likes

Smart move is to get it with an actual bank, which you know, has actual support.

When Revolut finally gets Apple Pay, what topic will you move onto next? :joy:

4 Likes

Only time will tell.

1 Like

New info on Apple Pay and Revolut

3 Likes

I guess that it means no support for countries without Apple Pay.

1 Like

My guess too… So I’ll just try boon and won’t have hopes for Revolut. :frowning:

Apple Pay roll-out is limited to the countries that Apple supports.

Revolut (nor any other bank.), as much as they’d like to, cannot unilaterally open up a market for Apple Pay.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you’re right, a person who has an account in a bank located in some Apple Pay supporting country may use Apple Pay everywhere in the world. So it’s about the bank location, not user.

3 Likes

That’s true. I have Apple Pay linked to my UK bank cards but can use it any place that supports Contactless, and I’m resident in a non Apple Pay country.

1 Like

I am not incorrect.

I am talking about the the location of the customer and the bank.

Customers getting Apple Pay:
Apple Pay cannot be given to a customer that is located outside of the jurisdictions that Apple Pay has been launched in, even if the bank itself has a global presence (e.g. Revolut.).

Therefore:

Customers using Apple Pay:
However, once Apple Pay has been obtained by a customer, s/he can use it around the world, if the payment terminal supports it.

2 Likes

I’m so sad reading all this, but can’t say it was unexpected.

2 Likes

These launches broadly mirror Apple’s country expansions.

1 Like

Didn’t they say it will be supported in Poland? I think Apple Pay is not supported in Poland yet. Or do they know something we don’t know yet?

Source: http://antyweb.pl/revolut-placenie-za-granica-nigdy-nie-bylo-prostsze-i-tansze/

2 Likes

I think people need to appreciate how the lack of Apple Pay support is not a technical or engineering-related issue, but a financial/regulatory issue.

Revolut is not withholding support for unsupported countries based off of their own decision-making, but following the rules that Apple has laid out. I am very sure that if it was up to Revolut, they would launch it in every single market they operate in (after all, Apple Pay is a popular feature.).

As of yet, apart from @c0stin’s example of Yandex Money, I have not seen a retail bank launch in a country that has not been openly announced by Apple as a supported country.

The reason for Apple Pay’s slow expansion is due to each country having its own unique financial system. Certain things, such as personal EUR IBANs, have benefited from financial harmonisation via EU financial regulation and EU law. Other things, like payments processing, and the provision of Apple Pay-enabled payment terminals in the country, have to work on a country-by-country basis.

1 Like

He indeed said that main features coming for Polish users will be Anroid/Apple Pay and individual IBANs. But as far as I know at least one traditional bank plans to implement Apple Pay in Poland very soon (Bank Zachodni WBK), so it’s possible that they’ll wait for an official launch.

3 Likes

Let’s hope so. I also hope Apple Pay will be launched in Czech Republic soon because Android Pay is coming this year.

2 Likes