Apple Pay support

Revolut have already made a Web portal for business users. They need to bring it to consumers too if they want to be seen as a serious financial institution.

1 Like

What’s the status with the MasterCard Principle License ? It’s been 9 months, so half of the 6-12 months announced by @julien and @anon33247966. I’m interested in using my Revolut card to pay with Android Pay (not so much topping up my Revolut card via Android Pay).

Also is there a simple and up-to-date showing what’s in the works? It’s all spread out throughout blogs posts and numerous questions/answers (this question alone has 282 responses…)

Hi there,

I haven’t seen any updates to this specific slide that I released from the “crowdfunding”'s deck plan back then. However, we had some updates on Apple Pay/Android Pay from press coverage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLFjFT8XK0M.

Revolut is being reassuring on social media about the upcoming arrival of the mobile payment feature even though no real time frame is being announced except from the press video interview saying that the feature is coming in the upcoming months rather than years and that they’ve fulfilled all the forms required to launch the service soon. :smiley:

I’m keeping faith that we are gonna see it soon — at least I hope.

Regards,
Julien.

5 Likes

In other words nobody knows anything.

2 Likes

N26 just rolled out 3DS support which means Apple Pay is very close.

2 Likes

What makes you say 3DS support is a prerequisite for Apple Pay certification? Is there a list of particular items that financial institutions have to conform with to gain Apple Pay integration?

2 Likes

From what i managed to piece together it plays a role in security scheme as well as online shopping itself. With all the announcements from them about upcoming Apple Pay support later this year and this info today it would be one heck of a coincidence if it wasn’t related.

Also i haven’t found Apple Pay supported card from any bank without 3DS. So there is that.

3 Likes

https://pomcor.com/2014/11/09/how-apple-pay-uses-3-d-secure-for-internet-payments/

5 Likes

Thanks. Fantastic in-depth article on this topic.

3 Likes

I have one more piece of information. If you travel somewhere and come by a NFC terminal with NETS software on it don’t expect Apple Pay to work. Verifone is a go, but NETS no go.

Many places in Nordic and Baltic countries.

I even wrote a formal 15 page letter to them :rofl: to let them know that they are delaying the inevitable.

Now one wants to use their retarded apps.

5 Likes

There’s a service called Orange Cash in France similar to what you’re describing, except they also offer Apple Pay for iOS users

Yes, that sounds like what they had. Deutsche Telekom has a full banking license via a UK subsidiary. They had an interesting Mastercard / Maestro combination card on the market that also worked as a mobile wallet + contactless payment via NFC on Android phones. Apple users had to attach a NFC sticker to the back of a phone case to use it, because Apple Pay is still not available in Germany. They shut down that endeavor as well.

2 Likes

Apple Pay is available through Boon. in Germany.

Well, not technically. Only via French or Irish accounts. They, ironically, then have German IBANs due to where Wirecard is based, as far as I know.

N26 on the other hand seems to follow Apple’s idea of how it should be done. They only offer Apple Pay in countries where Apple officially introduced it to the market.

3 Likes

Ahh yes my bad it is android only boon Germany for some reason.

1 Like

I wonder if N26 Apple Pay will work for everyone anyway when they launch it. Technically there is no reason it shouldn’t unless people from different countries were getting different cards.

Mine starts with 5355 8493

Apple Pay is not available in Germany…
Boon is available but only for Andorid Pay.

1 Like

Well, they have their customer’s residency on record. They simply can limit the functionality to the countries where Apple Pay is available. Their core product is already segregated. Different prices and offers for different markets.

Could be, but you can change those yourself, so it would still work then in the end. Maybe they will just just check for region on your iPhone the way Boon. does. I have to keep region set to Ireland for this reason on my iPhone.

I can’t change my registration address with N26. In the app, they say: "To change your address, please send us a utility bill, an official proof of residence or another official document stating your address … "

1 Like