Apple Pay support

Yep. As far as I know only German Maestro cards are affected by this issue. No official announcement on that either. This is really annoying.

1 Like

I have no idea why Apple Pay is not coming to Hungary.
Revolut looks to have the Apple agreement for all EEA countries since its available literally everywhere excluding the 3 countires where other bank had exclusivity upon the apple pay launch:

• Hungary
  • Netherlands
  • Luxembourg

Out of this in Hungary the exclusivity of the competitor already expired, therefor its strange that Revolut still geo-blocks even the UK bin cards still.

Does anybody know what might be behind this? Maybe they want to wait the other 2 countries and launch the last 3 in a bundled group?

1 Like

Don’t forget Liechtenstein and Gibraltar, both popular jurisdictions for bank accounts.

Do they already have Apple Pay for any bank?

Gibraltar falls under the UK banking regs and the local ‘NatWest International’ card holders have access to ApplePay and with that in Revolut.

I too really want to know what’s going with Hungary. Seems like they have forgotten Hungarian residents.

Gibraltar doesn’t. Although it uses UK sort codes, it is regulated separately from the United Kingdom. But it’s good news that some people have got Apple Pay on a Gibraltar-issued card.

At this point I am really dissatisfied as how things are being communicated to the users. No update on the Maestro issue in Germany and some other things. I do not feel appreciated as a customer anymore so I will just cancel my Metal subscription before the renewal. Yeah I know that 13.99€ won’t hurt :r: but I’ll vote with my wallet.

4 Likes

There were some hiccups with Apple Pay in my country on launching due to local circumstances but now everything is OK! So as Maestro is quite specific limited to some countries I think it will be fixed but as always there is need of little time.

I really appreciate after all Apple Pay as without :r: I will probably wait years more in my country!

PS. Is Maestro the only option for card in Germany?

It’s the lack of prober communication that really feds me up. I’m just sick of this “don’t talk about problems” policy.

Transparency and honesty is the keyword.

5 Likes

That’s the point… Hungary is the only EEA country where Apple Pay is available without exclusivity to any bank, yet Revolut hasn’t starter with it yet. Whenever I ask support, the usual copy/paste answer comes (we Will share if we have News…) which is totally understandable, but giving a hint what causes that only this single country is not supported wouldn’t hurt anyone.

Anyway I assume lack of support might come from the fact that they want to wait with the last announcement of supporting all EEA countries, once Holland/Lux/Gibr/Licht Will be supported as well…

Let me correct you on that, OTP Bank plc. had exclusivity for 1 month after their launch. Since we have 3 banks supporting it already.

Lichtenstein
Cornèrcard
Monese
N26

I just wanted to share my experience with Maestro and Apple Pay. I could pay in a store where they claim that no credit cards would be accepted. Ok - maybe it’s no big news, but I was excited this worked. I think Revolut is the only company which offers Apple Pay in combination with Maestro. Well done.

Sorry german users - I’ve read that you are kind of p.o. let’s hope :r: fixed this quickly. When you go to the Swiss Apple Pay Page also there Maestro is not listed as supported Schema. So quite funny it works…

1 Like

Maestro is only for debit cards, not credit cards, so why is this a surprise?

You might be right. Does anyone know why Deutsche Bank issues a physical Maestro card but an Apple Pay MasterCard? This means that Apple Pay on the same bank account will suffer lower acceptance than the physical card.

1 Like

I sometimes ask myself about this with N26. I have a German N26 account with both a Mastercard and Maestro card issued on the same account. Yet only the Mastercard can be added to Pay wallet. It’s quite curious.

1 Like

Apple Pay now works in Hungary too! Confirmed by support!

3 Likes

Its working - YAY! Now just need to have money! LOL
(for my premium 5391 xxxx card)

Revolut needs to be more accurate with its terminology. Its latest Facebook posts states “You can now use Revolut with Apple Pay in Hungary :hungary:”.

It has been possible to “use Revolut with Apple Pay in Hungary” since 29th May 2019. There is far too much confusion between place of residence and place of use. Revolut should have written:

“Residents of Hungary can now use Revolut with Apple Pay.”

4 Likes

I agree, the terminology is very inaccurate. But wasn’t it technically possible to use Apple Pay in Hungary even before May 29th?
I’m an Android user and I have used Google Pay for months in the Netherlands and it still did not launch there. Usage of NFC-based phone payments should only be limited by the readiness of the POS for tokenized contactless payments, right? And this doesn’t necessarily correlate with launch dates of Google Pay or Apple Pay.

3 Likes

Yes, although not with Revolut. Before Apple launches Apple Pay for local card issuers in a particular country, many merchants incorrectly impose transaction limits, e.g. HUF 5000 in Hungary.