Apple Pay support

Revolut support told me they believe that the “Contactless payments” switch in “Card security” has no effect on Apple Pay, because it is a digitised version of the card. This makes sense because:

• There is no use case for disabling a payment method with two-factor authentication without freezing the entire card. In other words, there is no greater need to disable Apple Pay than to disable chip & PIN.
  • Virtual cards do not have this “Contactless payments” switch, so it would be odd for an Apple Pay card to have different security switches depending on whether the underlying card is physical or virtual.

Has anyone tried to use Apple Pay with “Contactless payments” turned off for the underlying physical card?

2 Likes

I’m gonna try it later today.

1 Like

Sweet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can we ‘‘top up’’ revolut with revolut using apple pay, just from curiosity?

3 Likes

In Ireland and have tried to add my physical 535298 BIN Mastercard and both physical and virtual 459654 BIN Visas with no luck.

The Mastercard comes back saying it’s not supported

The Visas give a different error message, suggesting they’re supported but not working

I can’t add my cards, UK region. Both start with 5273 46.
I already created a new virtual card, but got the same starting number (5273 46) and the same result.

1 Like

Got the new Revolut version with Apple pay, but can’t add cards in Romania. :confused:

I changed the region to UK but Im not able to add the VISA physical or virtual card starting with 4596 54, Im getting the error Card Not Added. Contact your card issuer for more information

Anyone know of a solution for this?

No success in Austria so far.

Yes, the solution is above.

Not necessarily. If residency is not UK, the new virtual card might come with a non-UK BIN. They started to localize virtual cards as well a while ago.

I am from :austria: and my Visa card works.

A colleague of mine here in Switzerland added a physical MC issued early 2018 when it still had 539123 BIN. At that time no localised cards were issued and he did not do anything to disguise the country of his iPhone.
Paying for lunch worked without issues.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how Revolut managed to keep the Twitter timeline Applepay free today.

I’m guessing that they wanted to make it a quiet launch to avoid support being inundated with problems like those mentioned above.

1 Like

Yes, still interesting that no one hijacked a reply which would inevitably publish it in a thread. :shushing_face:

You need to have contactless enabled for Apple Pay to work :frowning: just tested.

5 Likes

Thanks @luplcz. That’s not well implemented then. The “Contactless payments” switch ought to affect only physical cards because:

• There is no use case for disabling a payment method with two-factor authentication such as Apple Pay without freezing the entire card. In other words, there is no greater need to disable Apple Pay than to disable chip & PIN, which doesn’t have a separate switch in “Card security”.
  • Virtual cards do not have this “Contactless payments” switch. Revolut has oddly made different security switches available for an Apple Pay card depending on whether the underlying card is physical or virtual.
2 Likes

thats because it’s US

It looks like Revolut found out about people that are not from UK or France are adding cards to Apple Pay and they added verification of residency.

If you successfully added a card to Apple Pay do not freeze the card as it gets disabled in Apple Pay and you won’t be able to add it back.

2 Likes