Anyone with experiences of using Revolut in Vietnam?

As per the title, really? I head off over there next week and wondered if others have had good or bad experiences using Revolut whilst over there?

we are heading to vietnam in about a month and would also like to hear some feedback too as although on the website it claims to support the VND it’s not showing up on the currency list in the app.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a review of the card on trip advisor for vietnam. Second review down.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k9351676-Revolut_pre_payed_card-Santorini_Cyclades_South_Aegean.html

Used the Revolut card in Vietnam with zero issues. Worked a treat!!! Used it in Saigon, Hanoi, Hoi An, Hue and even on the boat in Ha Long Bay. Used it ti withdraw Dong and pay for stuff via the card. Perfect. Amazing item that I will be taking and using Worldwide in future!

3 Likes

Any recommendations on which ATMs you found not charging fees?

I just noticed today that Revolut is not giving inter bank rates on the Vietnamese Dong. There seems to be a fee of 2%. I think this is again like the Lao Kip and the fee is probably not charged when the forex market in the USA is open.

1 Like

Just tried the card today and it took ages to get a working ATM.

• MB bank didnt accept the card and said it was unable to use it.
  • Vietcom bank said all the time my selected amount was above the limit.
  • AgriBank only allowed a 100.000 dong withdrawal, which is nothing and added a fee of 22000 on top of it.
    -ANZ Bank worked. 5.000.000 limit with a fee of 40000 dong

Just to clarify we do offer the best available, and there’s no fee of 2% on VND. We can take a closer look into your account.

Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

I also got around 1% more today when I withdrew in Vietnam (compared to Oanda’s real time exchange rate)

Perhaps you don’t call it a fee, but the exchange rate of the VND oscillates between two values.
One is really close to the inter bank rate and the other is 2% lower. It seems that when one of the forex markets is closed the 2% is added. This is during weekdays
I checked the exchange rate of euro to VND using the Revolut app and roughly between 4pm and 8pm the exchange rate is better. I still need to do some more checking for the exact times.
The same happens to the Lao Kip. Around 9pm Lao time the 2% disappears and Revolut gives around the inter bank rate. During the day there is a 2% fee/markup. This seems to be related to the Chicago forex exchange

Could you share which ATM you used and if it charged you a fee and was there limit?

I used ANZ bank and got the same results as you. You just have to select “Foreign currency” when asked whether you want to be charged in GBP or VND. But the exchange rate was 1% different from the real-time one.

Ok, this is becoming even more funny.

Tonight I tried to pay for my hotel in Vietnam in VND. The Revolut transaction was refused, so I had to pay with my Curve card.

Guess what? Curve was substantially cheaper.

@anon33247966, any explanation for this? I know Revolut is supposed to charge the real time rate. But remember that Curve applies a 1% commission on the official MasterCard rate…

P.S.: I forgot to mention that Curve offers free 200£ ATM withdrawal, the same as the “new” Revolut policy.

Hi @caprotti,

Today is Boxing Day, which is a bank holiday. Therefore, the Forex is closed and the Weekend rate applies.

“At the weekend (Friday 00:00 - Sunday 23:59) we apply a small mark up on the spot rate as the Forex markets are closed. We take the rate from Friday 00:00 and apply a 0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% on other currencies to protect the company from potential losses due to a large fluctuation in the rate. For illiquid currencies like Russian Ruble and Thai Baht, there is 1.5% mark up on weekend.”

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to you too!

So what happened to the VND? Nominally Revolut and Curve should charge the same (exchange rate at closed market +1%).

Is VND an illiquid currency for Revolut?

@anon33247966, any comment on how Revolut classifies the VND, as per my last comment above?

Yes Andreas, Revolut is charging 2% more of the interbank rate in Laos Kip an Vietnamese dong when the US market is closed. Actually one year later is the same.

Revolut rate now on Thursday morning is 7544 Lao kip and interbank rate is around 7750 Lao Kip. But then in the evening it will probably jump up again 200Kip. The same in the rates of Vietnam.

revolut

You see? The actual rate is around 2% lower than the minimum daily rate

72F3C999-653E-44D1-953B-07FD21BCB2AA

From 2 days ago

Confirmed, when the New York market opens the rate for Vietnam dong and Lao Kip improves around 3% and is even better than the MasterCard rate, but much worse than MasterCard rate when New York market is closed (even at night during working days).

Yesterday because of Thanksgiving holiday was very bad, but today improved a lot when the market opened.