[Account Blocked] A nightmare called Revolut

Hello
I am living temporarily in the UK (I am a citizen of another country that uses euros).
When I arrived here I ordered my revolut card (paying £ 12) and I made top ups over € 100,

Now (surprise) revolut blocked my account, "Your account is currently blocked for security reasons, please contact us"
Yesterday, I tried to make a purchase in a grocery store and it was refused. I had to leave the shopping bag there because I had no other way to pay.

Note: I suppose that the reason why my account was blocked was because I tried to make top ups with different cards. I used virtual cards to make my top ups. They only work once for each purchase and it is not possible for me to take a photo of the card as you ask.

Now the big question is:
Is it legal for REVOLUT to BLOCK YOUR MONEY?

Beyond that, Revolut has a service failure. People who are in support do nothing actually. They just say to wait and be patient.

The idea of the revolut is good but the service is awful.

I hope this nightmare is ending quickly.
Regards,

if you read the Terms of Service, you will see that @revolut can indeed suspend or close your account at any time.
and you agreed to it when you started using the service.

and the reason they need to validate the source of money is just to follow the law and prevent money laundry, like any other bank does

Are you saying that revolut can suspend or close accounts randomly, at any time?
That is a good thing about revolut (irony)…

Not randomly but if they suspect that something that is in breach with their T&C. And yes this is happening to valid laws and the T&Cs that you have accepted.

Fine print is indeed an interesting thing.
Did you tried to reach out to them via building chat and explain the situation?

Hey @joao.p.ceia, did you contact the customer support after they asked you to contact them? That might have prevented the trouble.

Somewhere else in the forum, Revolut says virtual cards are not recommended for topping up. I don’t know that, but it could be that taking a photo of a physical card is some sort of “proof of ownership”, that could be related to money laundering regulations.

Hello @joao.p.ceia,

Following the T&C’s we have in place with you (https://revolut.com/terms) your account was temporarily locked until further verifications. We always advise our users to verify their accounts and confirm their cards to help ensure your Revolut experience is as frictionless as possible. We’re truly sorry for any trouble caused, however, there’re certain protocols that must be followed, to ensure the safety and security of all users’ accounts as well as our system.

We’re glad it’s all sorted now. Thanks for your collaboration.

Best,

Andreas K.

My account was unblocked, finally!
Can I use virtual cards in the future or not?

Revolut does not recommend it.

Well even a physical card doesn’t help. As I just documented in Unable to verify credit card as photo function is unable to read the card

A question for Andreas do you consider equivalent Virtual Card and Prepaid Cards? The notion of physical card with Prepaid cards is confusing. Currently I top up with credit card and Prepaid. My account is blocked but no way to scan the prepaid card and I’m in a dead-lock. Even I answered the right 4 digits for the credit cards AND the prepaid cards. For me clearly you have a bug in the auto control process. I can’t believe it was for anti laundry money or compliance reasons by the way. My card is blocked since Friday and I’m waiting help from assistance always now…

As far as I know, virtual cards are not recommended for top ups because you can’t take a photo of a virtual card for the automated proof-of-ownership process. At some point, they ask you to proof that you actually are in the possession of a card used to top up.

If they do accept virtual cards for top ups (which I don’t know), they might be able to verify a card manually for you. Support chat is the place to go. And @AndreasK can help you for sure. And you want to tag his username to help him find out that you are addressing him directly. Makes it way easier form him to help you.

Prepaid and virtual are two different things.

Thank you Frank. I’m really interested by the answer of @AndreasK because I can prove easily to possess the card. The digit of a prepaid card aren’t in relief reason why it can’t be scanned. This issue is must be improved if Revolut want achieve his frictionless promise… actually my account is still blocked and nobody answers from assistance :frowning:

Hi! As I can see an agent responded to your query and you have been escalated to our compliance team. If you need help, drop me a direct message.

p.s. prepaid cards and virtual cards are indeed two completely different things.

Ok I understand better why I don’t receive answer from Neel. I agree with you prepaid and Virtual are different. To top up my Revolut I used either a credit card Visa either a prepaid MasterCard (the same used for Apple Pay by the way) either the Apple way function on my watch. If there is a control of ownership, I have all information needed (the 4 digits code on transactions receipt of Visa and MasterCard, and of course the cards…) but I cannot scan the Prepaid because the digits aren’t in relief. So I will wait for the feedback of the compliance…

Hi Andreas. I really need to use the card and I receive no answer from the assistance. What must I do to unblock the card? Your help would be very appreciated…

I keep getting “Guess who’s back” e-mails. I try going into the app, but “account blocked” so cannot use app chat. This seems to be the only way to talk with anyone in REVOLUT!!!

Strange that a Company who wants to take over the card world don’t have a customer care line or email contact! Only number you can ring is to cancel your card!

So AndreasK, how does one contact REVOLUT???

Can you drop me a direct me a direct message?

Hi there! As I can see your account is blocked for security reasons. Please verify your account and confirm the cards used for top up.

Andreas it’s a real nightmare because I can’t process the verification for the simple reason that my prepaid card can’t be scanned. In Switzerland the digits of a Prepaid Card aren’t in relief so it’s impossible to scann and close the process. I need an assistance to give the numbers orally. In an othe way that means also the process has a bug. All cases aren’t treated. Now without assistance, my card will stay blocked indefinitely and my money too… I would appreciate to have a real assistance. Thank you for your help.

Ps: I have describe my problem in my previous post and in the chat assistance too

Andreas it’s a real nightmare because I can’t process the verification for the simple reason that my prepaid card can’t be scanned. In Switzerland the digits of a Prepaid Card aren’t in relief so it’s impossible to scann and close the process. I need an assistance to give the numbers orally. In an othe way that means also the process has a bug. All cases aren’t treated. Now without assistance, my card will stay blocked indefinitely and my money too… I would appreciate to have a real assistance. Thank you for your help.

Ps: I have describe my problem in my previous post and in the chat assistance too