Accepting voluntary payments from strangers using Revolut?

I have a blog where I accept voluntary payments from readers. Bank transfer, PayPal, Bitcoin etc… Can I just add Revolut as another method there by writing “You can also support me using Revolut, just send any amount of any currency to myaddress@mydomain.cz and add a note saying that it’s for my blog”? Will this work? Is there other, preferred method for random people to voluntarily pay me using Revolut? Thanks.

Good to know that, thanks. Is this addressed somewhere officially, e.g. in the FAQ or Terms of Service?

The T&Cs restrict usage to personal use only, no business activity allowed.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Question is, how is many defined? Only last month I received payments (to my traditional bank account) from several different sources, all purely private.

@AndreasK, could you elaborate on what is a private and what is a non-private account and how these are distinguished by Revolut? Thanks.

It’s not obvious what’s the reason behind payments. Collecting money from friends for a shared trip or a gift for coworkers is okay. As is the occasional eBay transaction. Or selling stuff at a flee market. But running a blog and asking for contribution or being an eBay power seller, or using it as the main account for full time freelance work might be considered business use.

That does open the door to interpretation though.

One of Revolut’s issues unfortunately.

Sure. That’s why I put it there. :wink: But because there is room for interpretation, it becomes more likely that an account becomes subject to further investigation.

Yes, I was simply referring to when someone violates the T&Cs. Which is already a blurry line. The security system adds another level to how convenient Revolut could be used for this. It’s all going to change in a couple of months (banking license), so I don’t think it is worth to get a headache because of this right now.

IMHO it would be better to have a strict definition or no such restrictions in the first place.

Lets hope so :slight_smile:

This might be due to the specific regulatory situation. Money from all customers is held in ring fenced accounts. Customers do not have isolated singular accounts. If there is a regulatory issue, authorities might be able to block the whole system, not just the activity of a singular account? This should change as soon Revolut is a fully regulated bank. For now, I accept Revolut’s explanation that they are following their regulatory protocol to ensure the safety of their infrastructure.

That does sound like a reasonable explanation. If only Revolut could disclose how far their application got.

I’m sorry to hear that. I understand how frustrating this is.