Acceptance in Portugal

I’m shortly heading to Portugal (Tavira), does anyone have any experience of using Revolut or pre pay debit cards for withdrawals or spending?

Are they widely accepted does anyone know? Any help appreciated.

yes you can use in most places not a problem, just make sure you have a cash backup as once I was refused in a local petrol station -

Great thanks. I’ve got some cash anyway. I’ve heard conflicting reports of how accepted pre paid cards are there, fingers crossed it’ll be okay!

for the most part you should be ok.

recently some store may refuse internacional cards (or at least not issued by SIBS) as to fight on the extra fees to merchants

Hi, many thanks for the reply. I found card acceptance was good, and ATM’s were on every corner.

Atm Portugal "operation not authorized"

My card was refused in 4 different places… but I’m glad you could use it without problems. :slight_smile:

Revolut is being accepted at every ATM, as all ATMS in Portugal accept mastercard.

Portugal has 2 types of card-networks: multibanco & creditcards. (Revolut falls under those creditcards)
Normally the national multibanco-cards get accepted everywhere. Merchants pay a bit more to offer creditcard acceptance, so they don’t get accepted everywhere.
Most bigger shops and bars/restaurants in tourist areas accept Revolut cards.

I just got rejected by machines multiple shops and ATMs at different locations in Lisbon…

I have used my card extensively in Portugal over the last year and now live here. Widely accepted but occassionally a problem where the merchant has opted for a lesser level of acceptance (not sure of details, see posts above). So self service petrol stations do not work. Meo the biggest telecommunications supplier will not accept and neither will Lidl’s. Most other big stores, ATMs, and most restaurants and smaller shops in Lagos where I am staying do accept it without any problems.

What is the benefit of using a revolut card in Portugal v using a regular bank debit/credit card?
I live in a euro currency country and Portugal also uses the euro so I will not have any currency fees.
I am a new revolut card holder and am just learning how to use it and understand the benefits.

If your concern is the fees, the advantage of Revolut is currency conversion. You can make payments in different currencies, such as online purchases, and there will be no fees for the currency conversion from your balance in euros