3D Secure

Heya Stan

Your trust level will be raised providing you continue posting on the forum regularly with clean and wholesome family content

Posts are held by Discourse and reviewed by moderators to keep the forum nice and clean until you’re past the few weeks it takes to build your trust level.

This prevents a potential plethora of things from getting to the forum from children being abused up to people trying to tarnish Revolut for their idea of opening an account purely to wire thousands of dollars and then wondering why they triggered a fraud system

There are currently no plans expressed openly by the moderation team to change this, when I asked them (although this was months ago now) they actually said on no uncertain terms that trust level changes aren’t happening

Hope this answers any queries you may have

Thanks,
Recchan

You should be able to reply to discobot without any trust level, I was some months ago. Maybe try typing

display help

in a PM to it.

I worked it out. They do this for use cases such as credit card apps where they don’t like you leaving the app. Makes sense

1 Like

3D secure should be active now for all cards

6 Likes

I had 3D secure verification for 30 days, however I had to confirm every transaction, even with stores that I already did multiple times.
For example, a local fast food place required me to open the app and touch approve for every meal.
Edit : I mean I order online using their website.

Yesterday it didn’t. So now it should ask, presumably, only the first time transacting with a merchant, not every time.

Anyone else noticed this? Maybe it’s just a coincidence because yesterday they had some issues with the app and they maybe temporarily disabled the 3d secure approval.

So far I have never seen 3D with revolut card(s). Maybe just a coincidence that specific merchants did not support it.

Are they processing your transaction over the phone or something?

If they’re keying your numbers in I imagine this to be the case - but certainly not for contactless or chip and pin.

Maybe not first time.

Revolut will have a smarter system I imagine basing it on smart analysis of your spending, if they’re doing it properly. If they’re not doing it properly then it’s useless.

Personally if I were doing it I would take lots of things into account:

• How much do you normally spend at this merchant?
  • When do you normally spend, is there certain times you tend to visit them at?
  • Do you spend at this merchant once a week or is it more than this or less?
  • What type of services does the merchant provide? Is it high risk (like gambling)?

I would choose whether to require the confirmation within the app based on this type of multi-varied analysis, if I were designing the system.

@anon33247966 could you confirm whether Revolut is using a simple analysis based on purchase or if multiple factors are taken into account (obviously we understand if you can’t tell us what factors these are for legal reasons)

I messed up in my explanation. I am ordering from the local fast food online using their website. Of course it’s not asking for verification when paying via NFC :grin:.

1 Like

PSD2 allows various exemptions, e.g. whitelisted merchants (by you). With 3DS2 you shouldn’t see the 3D screen very often in the first place, as various metrics can be passed to the issuer who can then decide to let you use the frictionless flow based on transaction history.

Eventually…

Because right now I doubt Revolut or your local food store and their PSP have implemented any of this, so I guess it was just a bug (or a deliberate decision to use a more expensive 3D-free contract).

Is that a mandatory implementation for Revolut though?

“Allows” to me sounds like the implementation details are left largely up to the bank - I’ve certainly had no U.K. bank offering me whitelists.

I think implementation is mostly left to card networks, and I don’t know how much pressure they put on issuers. But it is certainly in Revolut’s interest to increase conversion rate with reduced friction.

On the other hand, in the UK, PSD2 compliance has effectively been delayed until 2021 (no action taken if merchants are non-compliant). Other countries have decided on similar delays. One can therefore expect 3DS2 adoption to be quite slow with many merchants deliberately being non-compliant, which may then lead to PSPs, acquirers and issuers not putting much effort into 3DS exemption mechanisms, and so on.

Follow up: I ordered again and it did ask for a confirmation this time. So it was allowed that time probably because they had app issues and didn’t want people to be unable to pay.

Probably. But once fully implemented, 3DS2 will indeed work like that. Sometimes there’s authentication, sometimes not (based on risk scores, based on low value exemptions, but also exception from the exemption due to accumulated amount since last authentication). I assume this wasn’t the case here, but (seemingly) inconsistent behavior will occur more often in the future.

I just ordered an item from Amazon UK and it didn’t require 3D authentication…

for example. Lufthansa online ticket req 3Dsec / two way auth from tomorrow. If your card doesnt offer this, new flight tickets only by phonecall (servicecenter)

That’s because the directive is brought into effect tomorrow.

Directive’s aren’t ever brought into effect.

Member states implement legislation to cover what is in the directive, but quite a few countries have delayed this legislation as the industry is behind it

Hello,

do you have the same problem that online payments at merchants with 3D security do not longer work since virtual (and disposable) cards have changed from MasterCard to Visa? That’s a few days now, that this problem exists. Do you know any solution?